Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Christmas is Coming!




I posted earlier about finding this Grandma Moses barkcloth on ebay. Well, I think it made some really cute Christmas stockings! I've made quite a few different ones for markets this fall. The one on the left has a cuff made from vintage chenille and fringe. Doncha love that curled-up toe??? The other (traditionally shaped) stocking has a cuff made from a vintage napkin. I sewed a bunch of fun buttons on it for accent.




Here are a couple of other fun uses of vintage materials. These 2 jackets are from the same pattern---they look so different! My friend Maria is wearing a jacket I originally designed for myself. I took it to a market before it was finished, just in case someone came along who might be interested in this type of jacket. Well, Maria came along and wanted THAT jacket! She came over the next day to pick out buttons and I finished it up for her. You can tell from her big grin that she loves it! So I went ahead and created another jacket for myself, pictured on the right.
I am frequently asked, "What IS barkcloth?" Barkcloth is a cotton fabric with a rough, nubby weave, thus the name. It was popular in the 1930's, 40's and 50's, primarily used for curtains. Because curtains don't get much "wear", they have survived in great shape. There were several popular pattern styles---tropical, asian, floral and "scenic". The colors are different than what I find in contemporary fabrics (like that funky lime green) which makes it hard sometimes to find coordinating materials.

No comments: