This photo shows the background I chose. First I had chosen just the dark blue (at the bottom) but I realized the figure was just floating in space. When I looked at the original photo, I saw the ground/sky line---EXACTLY what was missing in my picture! So, I found in my stash a nice mottled light blue "sky", and used the dark fabric for the ground. I loved the angle of the ground in the photo, so I tried to emulate that in my picture.
Anyway, I found this nice batik with all three shades in it, which I like very much. Also notice that I let the dog's tail come outside the frame. It really helps bring the whole figure forward, I think. I'm not used to adding the border before I've even finished the picture, but it was necessary in this case so I could finish up the stitching on the tail. I really like doing it this way.
I guess I could spend another week fiddling with little things---I've torn out other stitching, added more here and there---but this must be finished up today! This isn't perfect, but then neither am I!
I will post later about the back of the quilt. I'm doing a couple of special things there, too!