Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dean's Birthday: 100% Sales Donation

I Dreamed
by Amy Cavaness

I dreamed he'd be born beautiful and healthy.
He was.

I dreamed he'd tell me that he loves me.
He tells me every day.

I dreamed he'd be bright and funny.
He is - his humor is wonderful.

I dreamed he'd ride a bike, catch a ball and wrestle with his big brother.
He does and his brother loves it.

I dreamed he'd have big birthday parties with lots of friends and cake and presents.
He's had six.

I dreamed he'd one day get on a bus and go to kindergarten.
He did it yesterday - my heart full of love and my eyes full of tears.

I dreamed he'd make us proud.
He has and he's inspired us.

Dean has Down Syndrome.
I never dreamed that.
************************************************************************
It's been 15 years since I wrote this poem. Dean turns 21 on April 7, 2009 and I couldn't have dreamed what kind of man he'd become. He's still funny, he's very bright, and he still loves cake. He continues to make us proud. I continue to be grateful for his presence in our lives. And I love him dearly.

In honor of Dean's 21st birthday on Tuesday, April 7, I will donate 100% of my sales to the National Association for Down Syndrome. This organization offers wonderful support to parents and their kids, and we were so glad we found them when Dean was born.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Again Happy Birthday Dean!

What a gift he must be!